certificate error when initiating a RDP session using Remmina

Shortly after running the latest version of Remmina a new message “certificate changed” popped up.

remmina remote desktop protocol rdp certificate details

As I connect to different VMs with the same IP address (e.g. with client A I connect to host “KA” and client B I connect to host “KB” using the same IP address 192.168.178.12) this message totally makes sense as each VM has a unique certificate. But when I click on “OK” to accept the new certificate I get an error message.

remmina remote desktop protocol rdp certificate details

Several posts on the web say that files in the folder ~/.freerdp/certs should be removed .. but this folder does not exist on my machine.

Others say they changed the RDP security from Negotiate to RDP .. but this also did not work for me.

Finally a blog post got me on the right track – there the programme xfreerdp was run via command line with the parameter /cert-ignore – this very parameter Ignore certificate can be configured right in Remmina .

remmina remote desktop protocol rdp certificate details

installing linux mint 13 (mate) on a fit-pc3 – xserver no screens found

i set up my fit-pc3 and had some trouble getting my xserver working .. here is how it went …

i was pleased to see a page in the wiki from compuLab but IMHO there are some points missing:

boot from usb flash drive

i changed the boot order in the bios (which you can enter via pressing “F2” during boot) but the screen was nothing but black. turned out that pressing “F1” randomly right after powering the machine it was booting from the usb flash drive.

linux mint 13 fails to boot

i also had to select “start in compatibility mode” to successfully boot the livecd

resolving xserver error – no screens found

after the installation finished the xserver would not start. some sites mentioned to simply update linux so i ran (after commenting “medibuntu” out in /etc/apt/sources.list)

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade

accepted any modified file to the maintainer’s version and restarted .. but nothing changed. so i follow the instructions from compuLab and installed the ati catalyst drivers using:

sudo aptitude install fglrx-updates xvba-va-driver vainfo

and restarted .. but still the xserver failed to start …

i finally cam across a forum post where the following command was mentioned

sudo aticonfig --initial

rebooted and the xserver was back again …