sony reader prs-t1 – resetting to factory defaults

the situation

i was installing some apps on my prs-t1 (which was rooted with a custom firmware) and moved them to the sd card when suddenly the device would not react anymore but showing a rotating loader icon … i then let the battery drain and powered the reader on again .. with the result that i was prompted with a popup message saying “google framework service stopped unexpectedly” every time i powered it on …

when i then connected the reader to any pc (windows and linux) and selecting “data transfer mode” the device was stuck at “connecting” … this made the device no more usable .. thus i decided to reset it to factory defaults …

first insight or “how the reset button works”

the reset button does not reset the device to the factory defaults but restarts it so this was no option at all …

it does not matter how long you press the button .. after releasing it the reader will be restarted after approx. 3 seconds …

the way to the solution

so the next goal was to reset the system defaults via software .. i was on version 1.0.04.12210 and did not want to update (though the custom firmware project over at sourceforge which i was running and wanted back on had a stable release for 1.0.05.11130 [current latest version]) as everything was working fine and the changelog did not mention anything promising new features …

first try: running the updater … not

i was searching the web for the “PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.04.12210.exe”-file (MD5 c7d279a54fee81b9638821c898c7aea9) .. (found it on mediafire) downloaded it and couldn’t believe the updater-message saying “now connect your device using ‘data transfer mode'” .. which .. still did not work …

second try: restoring via sd card

on i went looking for a solution to restore the reader .. and i found one and will now shamelessly copy the instructions (with some modifications):

  1. check which version you are running (goto “settings” > “about” > “device information” and check the “version”-value)
  2. download a restore-zip/-archive appropriate to the version you are on from a source you trust (i found mine over here)
  3. extract the folder “OS Firmware” from that restore-archive onto a sd card and plug it into your reader
  4. charge your reader to 100% (the battery icon actually shows “100%” when full)
  5. power of the device
  6. while pressing the HOME and MENU buttons simultaneously power on the device
  7. when the screen shows “updating” you may release the buttons
  8. wait …
  9. after the update is finished you are presented with a text telling you to reset your device
  10. press the reset button

after these steps you are “back to normal” … you now want to check all settings and maybe also root the device (again) using a custom firmware .. which i might do tomorrow .. i will keep you updated …

hacking the Logitech Wireless Adapter (removing the metal weight)

watching the video “Belkin Bluetooth Audio Receiver Hack” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUg-bqDZ4-s made me wonder if one could do the same with the Logitech Wireless Adapter …

hacking the Logitech Wireless Adapter (removing the metal weight)

and then i also remembered that when standing in front of the (stationary) computer which streams to the Logitech Wireless Adapter it sometimes started stuttering …

after doing the following the stuttering was not better nor worse … i can’t tell if it did help in case of range .. though i could test it .. tomorrow …

[update] well .. just to say i forgot to measure the distance with the hacked and original one … and today i sold my spare (unhacked) one …[/update]

so off i went turned it bottom-up …

hacking the Logitech Wireless Adapter (removing the metal weight)

removed the foames (i did use the original glue to reattach them afterwards)

hacking the Logitech Wireless Adapter (removing the metal weight)

then the screws and opened the case

hacking the Logitech Wireless Adapter (removing the metal weight)

i then removed the metal weight which was glueed to the bottom plate

hacking the Logitech Wireless Adapter (removing the metal weight)

10 GBit on the QNAP TS-879U-RP with the Intel X540-T2

this is basically my reply in the qnap forums (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=60184&p=284960#p284960)

as the Intel X540-T2 card is not yet officially supported by QNAP i asked QNAP for a statement via email .. but as the answer did not result in something like “yeah, you know, it works .. but it’s not yet officially supported” but in a link to the compatibility list (http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=4061 where the card is still not listed but it’s predecessor the X520-T2) i decided to simply buy two of these cards and test them …

i did tell the vendor before ordering that i would test one card first and if it does not work (in the QNAP) i would send the second one back and order a X520-T2 (and wait one month due to delivery bottleneck) … i would then have used the X540-T2 in the computer connected to the QNAP and the X520-T2 in the QNAP itself …

so a couple of weeks ago i did the following:

  • install one X540-T2 card in the TS-879U-RP (Firmware 3.7.2 Build 20120719)
  • connected both ports with each other (as of gigabit standard no more cross cables are needed as the ports figure it out themselves)
  • the admin interface then showed “10 GBit” next to the card .. so it seemed to work just as wanted
  • installed the other card in the computer
  • configured both dual cards to trunks
  • set up a private ip address on each trunk (192.168.1.XXX) as they are direct attached and then also won’t interfere with the LAN network

since then the system is running without any problems and is connected via iSCSI to the computer …

i ran a hdd test (burst speed with SAS 15K disks) :
with a 1 GBit trunk was 80 MB/s …
with the 10 GBit trunk we now get 360 MB/s …